Wow your friends by brining these mini donuts to a dinner party, enjoy as a late night snack or grab one or two for an on-the-go breakfast. Yup, that’s right, I said breakfast! These little treats are packed full of healthy fats, protein and some zesty spice that will help start your day right. Baked not fried, this version has quite a different texture than traditional fluffy donuts, thanks to the chia seeds.
Chia seeds are high in protein, dietary fibre, omega-3 fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals – how can you go wrong?! With all this goodness wrapped up into tiny little seeds, this power food supports heart health, digestive health, boosts energy and metabolism, promotes weight loss and (drum roll, please) helps prevent certain types of cancers.
Enjoy these delicious little morsels on their own, with the coconut icing I have suggested or with your favourite nut butter or jam!
Recipe: Mini Chia Donuts
(adapted from Oh She Glows, “out-the-door chia power doughnuts”)
– Dairy free, gluten free, soy free
- 3/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon almond milk
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Putting it together:
- Preheat oven to 300°F and grease holes of mini donut tray ( I used grapeseed oil due to its high burning temperature).
- In a medium bowl combine flour, chia seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt.
- Make a depression in the middle of the mixed dry ingredients, and add sweetener (maple syrup or agave), milk and vanilla. Mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Fill each donut hole to the top with batter, and bake for 22 minutes.
- While donuts are baking, make coconut icing – melt the coconut butter and coconut oil, combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth.
- When the donuts are finished baking, let cool for 15-20 minutes on a cooling rack, then carefully spoon coconut icing on top.
- Store in the refrigerator. Enjoy!