This past weekend I was camping with my hubby, Travis, and his lovely family. Now, the members of this clan are meat-eaters at heart, albeit incredibly supportive and open to new… culinary experiences. I went out on a bit of a limb and made this potato salad as a side dish for dinner one night, and I am glad I did! I think the consensus around the dinner table was that this salad must make an appearance at our next camping trip. I know that when I get a thumbs up from this fam-jam, I have got something good!
For me, eating good food on a camping trip is a must. Fortunately, I had the time and the foresight to prepare the dressing before we left on our trip, but it was quite “challengtaining” (challenging and entertaining ) cooking and putting the rest together in my cozy little camper. Let me tell you, you do not want to get too many things going, and accidentally burn your pecans whilst candying when your bed is a foot away from the stove. Lesson learned is all I have to say…
I served this salad warm, which was a nice change from the traditionally cold side dish. The cumin and candied pecans spin on this potato salad make it work really well as a warm dish, while the grapes add a crunch and a bit of a cooling effect. Furthermore, the non-dairy Cashew Cream dressing used in this salad boosts the nutritional value and adds a nutty flavour.
RECIPE: PLANTICIZED POTATO SALAD
– DIARY FREE, GLUTEN FREE
- The Dressing:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3 tablespoons water
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 sprigs fresh dill
- Candied Pecans:
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon water
- Dash of sea salt
- Dash of cayenne (optional)
- The Rest:
- 4 cups baby potatoes
- 3/4 cup seedless grapes
- 1 cup fresh kale, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
Putting it Together:
- Soak cashews in a bowl of water over night. If you a in a time crunch, soak cashews in boiling water for at least two hours.
- Wash potatoes and cube them into 1 inch x 1 inch pieces. Bring a pot of water to a boil, add potatoes and cook until soft (15-20 minutes). Once cooked, strain potatoes and let cool.
- Candy the pecans: Add water and honey to a small cause pan over medium heat. Once pre-heated, add pecans, salt and cayenne and toss often. Cook until nuts are slightly toasted (roughly five minutes), transfer pecans to parchment or wax paper to cool.
- Make the dressing: Add cashews, water, apple cider vinegar, tahini, lemon juice and dill to a food processor. Once creamy and consistent texture, add remaining spices and herbs and process for 5-10 seconds until mixed.
- Slice grapes (I used red seedless grapes) and add them to a large bowl with potatoes, chopped kale, sliced onions and pecans. Add dressing and toss until ingredients and dressing are well combined.
This salad is fantastic served warm, although just as good served cold – especially on those warm summer evenings! Enjoy!